FWIW - I still do most of my work on Maven 3.0.5 as some of the
projects I work on don't work with 3.1. They might work with 3.2 but I
haven't tried that yet.

One other thing to mention is that an extension is being proposed to
the maven-bundle-plugin that supports semantic versioning. That
implementation is using the bnd baselining under the hood, which
supports semantic versioning a little better than the Aries versioning
plugin AFAIK...
See here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4512

Best regards,

David