From: Wes McKinney [mailto:w...@cloudera.com]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 6:51 AM
To: dev@arrow.apache.org
Subject: Re: Understanding "shared" memory implications

hi Kai,

This sounds like it might merit a separate thread to discuss the growth of
Arrow as a modular ecosystem of libraries in different programming languages
and related tools (we've discussed shared memory data access and metadata
representation, but not questions around ownership and management of shared
memory resources, which inevitably will come up). Composability around the
shared memory layout is an extremely powerful concept, just as zero-copy
compatibility with BLAS / LAPACK / Intel MKL is very important for high
performance linear algebra in scientific computing use cases.

(Note that I recently have been working to revive Parquet C++ as a standalone
library and have become a committer on that project, but my first commit was
only in January. More specific comments there might be valuable on the Parquet
mailing list.)

- Wes