Checked license, notice, checksums, signature. Built on OS X under JDK 1.8.

I got “gpg: Can’t check signature: public key not found” when I tried to
verify. I tried importing https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/julien.asc
<https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/julien.asc>, but not the right key,
evidently.

 <https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/julien.asc>In my opinion, the README
should contain build instructions (or pointers to them). And Java build
instructions should say which JDKs are supported.

It would also be nice if there were release notes.

Failures & errors in the java tests:

Failed tests:
  TestComplexWriter.listListType:186 record: 3 expected:<0> but was:<2>
  TestValueVector.testNullableInt:268 expected:<3> but was:<1>

Tests in error:
  TestComplexWriter.promotableWriter:294 NullPointer
  TestComplexWriter.simpleUnion:255 NullPointer
  TestComplexWriter.unionListListType:225 NullPointer
  TestComplexWriter.listScalarType:124 NullPointer
  TestComplexWriter.listMapType:153 NullPointer
  TestComplexWriter.simpleNestedTypes:68 NullPointer

I tried to build C++ in release mode. I had to `brew install cmake`. Then I got
the following error:

CMake Error at
/usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.4.1/share/cmake/Modules/FindBoost.cmake:1247
(message):
  Unable to find the requested Boost libraries.

  Unable to find the Boost header files.  Please set BOOST_ROOT to the root
  directory containing Boost or BOOST_INCLUDEDIR to the directory containing
  Boost's headers.

I didn’t try the python build.

Julian