At Calcite we have a simple approach that Arrow could mimic. We keep our
documentation under the source tree in .md (GitHub markdown) format and we use
Jekyll to generate into the svn repo that backs the Apache web site. Due to the
markdown format it’s easy for committers and non-committers to write
documentation, they can test using a local Jekyll instance, non-committers can
submit a pull request, and it’s not much effort for a committer to re-generate
and commit the web site.

You can also easily generate javadoc etc. into the same svn tree.

Instructions here: https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/site/README.md
<https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/site/README.md>

Julian