I have sketched out a possible start of a python-wide file-system specification
https://github.com/martindurant/filesystem_spec

This came about from my work in some other (remote) file-systems
implementations for python, particularly in the context of Dask. Since arrow
also cares about both local files and, for example, hdfs, I thought that people
on this list may have comments and opinions about a possible standard that we
ought to converge on. I do not think that my suggestions so far are necessarily
right or even good in many cases, but I want to get the conversation going. You
will see that there are already some PRs and issues on the repo, please use
liberally!
Finally, if this project gathers steam, then the spec should be moved to a more
prominent and standard location.

Thanks,
MD

—