Wes,

Thanks! We do plan to upgrade, as soon as we put down the fire. We noticed
some API changes and we will have to get our code updated.

It looks like it is boost::regex. In our application we link dynamically
against a locally compiled Boost. For Arrow we noticed this for CentOS
https://github.com/apache/arrow-dist/blob/master/cpp-linux/yum/arrow.spec.in#L69

%if %{_centos_ver} == 6
-DARROW_BOOST_VENDORED=ON \
%endif

I tried replacing it with

-DARROW_BOOST_USE_SHARED=ON

but it does not look like it is going to build

/root/rpmbuild/BUILD/apache-arrow-0.9.0/cpp/src/arrow/io/hdfs-internal.cc:204:7:
error: 'class boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char>,
boost::filesystem::path_traits>' has no member named 'make_preferred'
     i.make_preferred();
/root/rpmbuild/BUILD/apache-arrow-0.9.0/cpp/src/arrow/io/hdfs-internal.cc:205:27:
error: 'class boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char>,
boost::filesystem::path_traits>' has no member named 'native'
     out_handle = dlopen(i.native().c_str(), RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL);

I remember we had a similar conflict with ProtocolBuffers. In that case,
changing Arrow to use the system provided version did the trick.

Thanks,
Rares