Thanks for pointing out that document, Uwe. I really like the intent and it
would be really useful to have common components for large datasets. One of
the questions we are hitting with an Iceberg python implementation is the
file system abstraction, so I think this is very relevant for all of us.

There is significant overlap between this document’s goals and Iceberg’s
goals, but there isn’t total alignment:

   - Formats: Iceberg tables can contain a mix of Avro, Parquet, and ORC
   (future)
   - Files vs table: Iceberg requires a table abstraction. The intent is
   for users to work with tables and not care about the individual files
   underneath.
   - Schema evolution: Iceberg *tables* have defined schemas and guarantee
   that the current schema can read all existing data files. This uses a set
   of evolution rules and is ID based. The doc’s goal is a harder problem:
   building a schema around CSV, JSON, and other files. I don’t think there is
   a good way to make all of these formats appear to use the same rules.
   - Partitioning: Iceberg’s partition model is maintained in metadata and
   supports hidden partitions that are automatically derived.

It would be great to see where Iceberg can be used, but it isn’t a solution
for all of these goals and it isn’t intended to be. We have users that want
to make a directory of JSON or CSV appear like a table, and our plan is to
use a Hive table approach for those use cases.

But for situations where users want schema evolution without surprises,
want a separation between the logical data and its underlying physical
structure, or need atomic changes with concurrent readers and writers, we
plan to use Iceberg.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer