OK to summarize my understanding of the thoughts expressed:
1.  People really shouldn't be trying to do things like grouping and
joining on double valued columns (but they do).
2.  The consensus (but not 100% agreement) :
   *Canonicalize NaNs and assume NaN == NaN, for group by/unique kernels
   * assume -0.0 == 0.0.

I can update the JIRA with these conclusions unless someone strongly
disagrees.

Thanks,
Micah