Since you seem to be using conda on macOS, I'll point you to this recent
addition to the pyarrow dev docs (which has not been deployed to
arrow.apache.org/docs):
https://github.com/nealrichardson/arrow/blob/master/docs/source/developers/python.rst#using-conda

Not sure if that's what's causing your issue, but thought it might be worth
mention since it's not formally published yet.

Neal