Thanks Kou for volunteering to be the release manager. I can't imagine
there are any objections :)

As this is my first release with the project, I'm eager to learn how things
work and to help however I can. One thing that occurs to me is the
management of the backlog for 0.14 and the release-readiness of each of the
languages and subprojects. Like Kou just did here for the release as a
whole, do individuals stand up and volunteer to oversee an individual
language/component? It seems unreasonable to expect one release manager to
know that all 11 languages are in good condition, have no critical issues
outstanding, and that all build artifacts (binaries, docs) build correctly;
and the project seems too large to assume that the work will just get done
on its own.

I gather that this has all been done informally in the past, but would some
folks be interested in taking up this release-prep role for the various
languages and formalizing that responsibility a bit? By "formalize" I just
mean write down on the wiki (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.14.0+Release) who
is overseeing the release for each language and what the current status is.
That way, Kou and anyone else can see at a glance which subprojects are
ready for release and who to talk to about wrangling the others. For my
part, I've been curating the R backlog and 0.14 release scope and working
with Romain and others to get the essentials done, and I'd be happy to
record that I'm doing this and publicize when the key issues have been
addressed and we're ready to release. If different people were to do that
for the other 10 languages, we could eliminate some ambiguity as to what
the status is and who is taking responsibility for ensuring that the
necessary work gets done.

Thoughts?

Neal