Hi Daniel,
This works on my machine:

> library(arrow)
> write_parquet(data.frame(y = c("a", "b", "c"), stringsAsFactors=FALSE), file=
> "string.parquet")
> read_parquet("string.parquet")
1 a
2 b
3 c

(The function masking warnings are all from library(tidyverse) and
aren't relevant here.)

What OS are you on, and how did you install the arrow package? I'm on
macOS and installed arrow from CRAN, but if that's not the case for
you, then your C++ library may have different capabilities.

Neal