On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 7:46 PM Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd like to hear more opinions from others on this topic. This conversation
> seems mostly dominated by comments from myself, Wes and Antoine.
>
> I think it is reasonable to argue that keeping any ABI (or header/struct
> pattern) as narrow as possible would allow us to minimize overlap with the
> existing in-memory specification. In Arrow's case, this could be as simple
> as a single memory pointer for schema (backed by flatbuffers) and a single
> memory location for data (that references the record batch header, which in
> turn provides pointers into the actual arrow data). Extensions would need
> to be added for reference management as done here but I continue to think
> we should defer discussion of that until the base data structures are
> resolved. I see the comments here as arguing for a much broader ABI, in
> part to support having people build "Arrow" components that interconnect
> using this new interface. I understand the desire to expand the ABI to be
> driven by needs to reduce dependencies and ease usability.
>
> The representation within the related patch is being presented as a way for
> applications to share Arrow data but is not easily accessible to all
> languages. I want to avoid a situation where someone says "I produced an
> Arrow API" when what they've really done is created a C interface which
> only a small subset of languages can actually leverage. For example, every
> language now knows how to parse the existing schema definition as rendered
> in flatbuf. In order to interact with something that implements this new
> pattern one would also be required to implement completely new schema
> consumption code. In the proposal itself it suggests this (for example
> enhancing the C++ library to consume structures produced this way).

I think we are creating a C-based in-memory representation of Arrow
(significantly simpler than what we have in C++, which involves smart
pointers and other C++ concepts) and how people use these structs is
up to them.

> As I said, I really want to hear more opinions. Running this past various
> developers I know, many have echoed my concerns but that really doesn't
> matter (and who knows how much of that is colored by my presentation of the
> issue). What do people here think? If someone builds an "Arrow" library
> that implements this set of structures, how does one use it in Node? In
> Java? Does it drive creation of a secondary set of interfaces in each of
> those languages to work with this kind of pattern? (For example, in a JVM
> view of the world, working with a plain struct in java rather than a set of
> memory pointers against our existing IPC formats would be quite painful and
> we'd definitely need to create some glue code for users. I worry the same
> pattern would occur in many other languages.)

I'm fine to wait for more opinions, but I don't think that creating a
strict C programming interface means that all languages have to figure
out how to do FFI with it.

> To respond directly to some of Wes's most recent comments from the email
> below. I struggle to map your description of the situation to the rest of
> the thread and the proposed patch.  For example, you say that a non-goal is
> "creating a new canonical way to serialize metadata" bute the patch
> proposes a concrete string based encoding system to describe data types.
> Aren't those things in conflict?

Each language implementation represents in-memory schemas in a
different way. In C++ we have the arrow::DataType classes. If the goal
is to create a very compact C-based data model or Arrow, why is using
a string representation of types instead of a more verbose object
model inappropriate?