Hi Hongze,
I have a strong preference for not porting non-trivial logic from one
language to another, especially if the main goal is performance.  I think
this will replicate bugs and cause confusion if inconsistencies occur.  It
is also a non-trivial amount of work to develop, review, setup CI, etc.

If JNI is seen as too cumbersome, another possible avenue to pursue is
writing a gRPC wrapper around the DataSet metadata capabilities.  One could
then create a facade on top of that for Java.  For data reads, I can see
either building a Flight server or directly use the JNI readers.

In either case this is a non-trivial amount of work, so I at least,
would appreciate a short write-up (1-2 pages) explicitly stating
goals/use-cases for the library and a high level design (component overview
and relationships between components and how it will co-exist with existing
Java code).  If I understand correctly, one goal is to use this as a basis
for a new Spark DataSet API with better performance than the vectorized
spark parquet reader?  Are there others?

Wes, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Micah