ARROW_COMPUTE was enabled because ARROW_PYTHON was enabled (I double
checked).
And sanity check helped -- I should be in python folder, not in the root
folder of arrow repo, thanks!

I wonder if there a way to detect if compute module is present by looking
into *.so files.
Because at our internal environment I cannot find _compute.cpython*.so and
import pyarrow.compute doesn't work although
python module is there (the arrow version there is 0.16), so I'm trying to
verify that it is not present.

--
Best regards,
Kirill Lykov