Dear all,

how do you think _GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI should be set for manylinux2014
(and manylinux2010) wheels? Should it be 0 or 1? Unfortunately I don't see
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0599/ or
https://github.com/pypa/manylinux specifying it. I think for manylinux1 the
common wisdom was to set it to 0. It would then also make sense to have the
same setting for the later wheels since the manylinux* wheels are supposed
to be compatible with each other. Which is a bummer since that means we
cannot use the new ABI (and std::list::size() is O(n) in the old one as far
as I know).

My understanding is that PyTorch is setting it to 0 (based on
https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/issues/51039) and so does TensorFlow (
https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow/blob/5dcfc51118817f27fad5246812d83e5dccdc5f72/tensorflow/tools/dockerfiles/tests/build-cpu.sh#L35).
It looks like in Arrow we are setting it to 1 since
https://github.com/apache/arrow/commit/de7198274a3a2c90af765d55838e4f4339bae84f
.

It would be great to have some clarity around this in the community and
make sure we all use the same setting to avoid subtle incompatibilities.
I'm specifically asking because in Ray we are currently deciding on how it
should be set (see https://github.com/ray-project/ray/pull/18273).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Best,
Philipp.