Looking at PR #9816 which is the PR that introduced downstream changes
to our vendored copy of double-conversion, it appears that the changes
were quite small: two files modified, fewer than 10 lines of added
code, plus some comments [1]. If this is correct, then I think the
easiest path forward for everyone might be to port these small changes
to the updated vendored copy of double-conversion while we await
possible addition of these changes to upstream double-conversion.

Ian

[1]
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/9816/files#diff-d1cc5b70a5e980626bb70ae604a050d3393ac25a717a5a4c8dc40e8b5caf4b05R97-R105