Mingda,

     I'm not sure how much re-ordering can be done at the Hyracks level,
i.e., the runtime level.
     In the optimizer (the asterixdb/algebricks level), we don't have
re-ordering for  joins, because:
     --- the cost model has not been added yet.  I'm not sure about the
timeline for this. @Ildar?
     --- respecting user-specified join orders is important for certain
cases, for example, to get stable/predictable performance (zero surprise)
for applications.

     In the runtime, we have a role-reversal optimization in hybrid hash
join, which is a safe optimization that is not based on estimations.  You
can look at OptimizedHybridHashJoin.

Best,
Yingyi