+1 and up for this migrating direction.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 5:10 PM Hussain Towaileb <[email protected]>
wrote:

> This looks like a move in the right direction to me, especially with the
> freebies we will get from Github, and it would offload quite a bit of the
> stress from Ian when he needs to wake up in the middle of the night to fix
> the machines.
>
> However, I have few concerns, all seem to be stemming from people using AI
> and spamming Github now:
> - I've seen people commenting that Github can get super slow more
> frequently now than before, although I'm hoping it's not as bad as they
> claim.
> - Related to the above point, I wonder if that will have any impact on our
> code reviews/jobs running. On an average day that's fine, but when dealing
> with criticals and tight timelines, that might add some stress.
> - The quotas on tests is a concerning factor for me, I don't know how bad
> that would be, but hopefully not a common occurrence.
>
> I think 3 things would make me more comfortable with migrating:
> - If we can set up Github and just have a quick demo on how things will
> work, right now your explanation is clear, but it still is all theoretical
> for me.
> - If we can have Github running with Gerrit side by side for a while (maybe
> a month?) just to check how stable it is.
> - And this is more of a question, does moving to Github mean the infra for
> Gerrit is gone? Would be nice to have it on the side so in case of
> emergencies, we can fire things up on Gerrit until Github is back so we
> don't get blocked.
>
> - Hussain
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 3:14 AM Ian Maxon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > The build infra for AsterixDB has been relatively unchanged since
> > before incubation. I would say
> > at the time, it was pretty state of the art. Code review wasn't de
> > rigueur in software. Google code still existed, and GitHub hadn't
> > introduced PRs. There was no ASF infrastructure during incubation that
> > we could use to support the practice. So it made sense to keep Gerrit
> > as it was, and Jenkins along with it to support CI. I think the
> > project can look back and be proud that we were basically ahead of the
> > curve.
> >
> > However now, the infrastructure does exist within the ASF- because now
> > there is a more tight integration with GitHub. I think most projects
> > just start there today by default. With that, you get PRs and Actions
> > for "free" basically. Nobody has to take care of the infra side of it,
> > like I have to with Gerrit and Jenkins. ASF Infra takes care of that.
> > I'm also just one person, and having a fundamental piece of the daily
> > operations of the project reliant on me and UCI in general is not a
> > particularly sustainable practice, although it's worked out OK so far.
> >
> > We also have the agreement we came to with our Mentors at the time
> > regarding pushing code from Gerrit to ASF repositories. I think this
> > has worked about as well as it could have, but it's been shown over
> > time to be both something that is easy to forget and also something
> > that is confusing to new Committers. I don't think there is an easy
> > way to make it automatic. It would require us to somehow come to an
> > agreement with Infra about a bot account, and I am not sure how they
> > would feel about that. As annoying as it is today the human in the
> > loop does serve a few validation functions.
> >
> > With these things considered, I would like to discuss an idea that has
> > come up informally more than once with other PMC members, of simply
> > migrating all CR and CI/CD to Github. I will list out the pros, cons,
> > and work involved as I understand it:
> >
> > Pros:
> >   - Lower maintenance overhead (uptime and security)
> >   - More familiar interface for new committers
> >   - Workflows are easier for everyone to contribute to than Jenkins jobs
> >   - Direct integration with ASF release infrastructure (particularly
> > for containers)
> >   - Organizationally cleaner (direct control by ASF, rather than
> > time/resources donated by other org)
> > Cons:
> >   - GitHub is a MSFT product, not an open source project- so it could
> > be rugpulled at any time.
> >   - Some people (like me) actually enjoy Gerrit's interface
> >    - Jenkins is extremely flexible, to a fault
> >   - All Jenkins jobs need to be migrated to actions. We have over 12
> > jobs that run with every commit.
> >   - GitHub's reliability has been noticeably terrible lately, and
> > particularly bad in the past year. There are certain days where it's
> > almost entirely unusable in some way for large parts of the working
> > day.
> >   - The pool of GitHub Actions Runners is shared among the whole ASF.
> > Once it's depleted, that's it- no projects can run more actions until
> > the quota resets.
> >   - AFAIK self-hosted runners for ASF is kind of a new/untested thing.
> > We might be able to sidestep the issue above somehow by doing that,
> > but it's not a sure thing.
> >
> > What does everyone think?
> > - Ian
> >
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hussain Towaileb
>

Reply via email to