Mandy,

> edit access is limited to the user identified in the createdBy property.
It will be possible to support authorization as above. However, there are few
issues to be aware of in such approach. For example:
 - 'createdBy' property may not be present in all entity-types
 - the username in 'createdBy' property might have to be normalized or mapped,
to be able to compare with the username logged into Atlas.
   - for example john.sc...@example.com vs jscott
I would recommend to handle such username normalization/mapping in a later
phase.

> where a classification can only be added to an entity by a user that has edit
> access to the entity.
> where a classification can only be added to any entity by a user with create
> rights on the classification.
Wouldn't it be more flexible to allow different set of users to edit and
classify entities? Similar to the following scenario.

> where edit access to an entity is required before a relationship can connect
> it to something else
> and it would be good from a graph decoupling point of view if adding
> relationships could be done independently of the access rights to either
> entity.
I agree on decoupling authorization to create relationship from access rights
to the entities at both ends.

Thanks,
Madhan

On 2/14/18, 10:06 AM, "Mandy Chessell" <mandy_chess...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    Hello Madhan,
    I was thinking through our common use cases for metadata security.  For
    most metadata entities and relationships, we would want to enforce that
    metadata is readable by logged on users but edit access is limited to the
    user identified in the createdBy property.

    Then we have special cases for entities such as connections and some
    governance actions.
    For example there may be a connection to an audit log and that can only be
    seen by members of the security team since having access to the connection
    means you can connect to the data store.
    Some governance actions may be updateable by anyone in the governance team
    - not just the creator.

    When it comes to classifications, we have 2 scenarios
    - where a classification can only be added to an entity by a user that has
    edit access to the entity.
    - where a classification can only be added to any entity by a user with
    create rights on the classification.

    I was trying to think through similar examples for relationships - for
    example, where edit access to an entity is required before a relationship
    can connect it to something else - but I can't think of one - and it would
    be good from a graph decoupling point of view if adding relationships
    could be done independently of the access rights to either entity.

    All the best
    Mandy
    Mandy Chessell CBE FREng CEng FBCS
    IBM Distinguished Engineer

    Master Inventor
    Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
    Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of
    Sheffield

    Email: mandy_chess...@uk.ibm.com
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mandy-chessell/22/897/a49

    Assistant: Janet Brooks - jsbrook...@uk.ibm.com