Adam,

2.2 release will be from branch-2.0. So, any fix/improvement targeted for 2.2
release must land in branch-2.0.

That said, all commits generally land in master branch, and then they are
cherry-picked into other relevant branches - like branch-2.0. If it is not a
clean cherry-pick, then the author will need to create branch-specific patches.

Hope this helps.

Madhan