David,

I am including back dev@atlas. I think you are proposing a change to making the
edits simpler from the current process, hence would be nice if other people can
chime in with their opinion.​

I guess we get some advantages in doing it the current way:

* We can follow all current processes for patch review & commit for docs as for
source. Indeed, it would be nice to update documentation whenever sources are
updated in the same patch. I know some Apache projects did insist on this
practice a while back.

* Versioning comes for free and in well defined manners (although, I believe
all Wiki systems provide versioning as well - so may not be a big issue)

* Docs can be distributed with the source package of Atlas and built and
deployed independently. (again may not be a big advantage)

In your proposal, I am not still clear on the workflow for a doc update - in
particular, how the review / commit would work. So would be nice to understand
that a bit more in detail.

I am not sure if the choice of doing documentation this way was a deliberate
one given the above or similar advantages. Maybe someone more in the know-how
can elaborate.

Thanks

hemanth