Folks,

I've taken some time this holiday to tackle some backlogged issues for our project. In particular, I've put a fair amount of work towards moving our website from SVN to Git. I'm happy to say the move was a success.

Our website now resides at https://github.com/apache/aurora-website with the asf-site branch being shown at https://aurora.apache.org/ and the asf-staging branch being shown at https://aurora.staged.apache.org/

As part of this effort I've moved our website generating tooling from vagrant to docker.

The Dockerfile used to generate the image resides at https://github.com/apache/aurora-website/blob/asf-staging/Dockerfile while a Docker image resides at https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/apache/aurora-website with the tag dev.

Hopefully this allows us to move towards automating the generation of the site any time documentation is updated.

Some minutia and background on this:

With the release of 0.22.0[1], our website had to be updated to reflect the latest release. When I tried to update the website, our Vagrant setup had become stale since the 0.21.0 release to the point that it broke. Some dependencies needed a newer version of Ruby (>= 2.0.0) which led me to updating our static site generator, Middleman[2], to the latest version 4.3.5. Everything worked fine with a newer version of Ruby, 2.5.0, and the website was updated, until I tried navigating the site and realized the upgrade had generated broken links.

Something had changed between our previous version 3.4.1 and the latest release regarding how pretty urls[3] are generated. I was unsuccessful in finding a fix to issue in a timely manner. Therefore I decided to roll back to the previous version. To get a version (Ruby 2.0.0) that worked without breaking anything else, I decided to roll out a docker image with RVM[4] which puts us in control of our own Ruby version.

With our current setup, we can now get the image from the apache/aurora-website repo and everything is ready to generate the site immediately which hopefully allows us to avoid landing in this scenario again.

Hope everyone had a wonderful new year!

-Renan

[1] http://aurora.apache.org/blog/aurora-0-22-0-released/

[2] https://middlemanapp.com/