Yes, I think it's inevitable that there is some kind of registry or database of
schemas, since a fingerprint by itself does not contain enough information to
be able to decode a record. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1704
calls this a SchemaStore.

In some cases, I imagine an application might be able to embed all schema
versions in circulation into the application code. Then the SchemaStore could
simply be an in-memory hash map. In this case, you'd have to be careful in
deploying the application: when you want to add a new schema version, you first
have to update all running instances to support the new schema (but not
generate any records encoded with the new schema), and then in a second phase
you update the application to start encoding records with the new schema.

In general, the SchemaStore might have to be a remote database, or something
like the Confluent schema registry
(http://docs.confluent.io/1.0/schema-registry/docs/intro.html). In that case,
if an instance of the application encounters a schema fingerprint that it has
not seen before, it can fetch the full schema from that database/registry.

The fingerprint could be a hash of the schema, bit it would also be ok to
assign sequential numbers to schema versions, as long as you have some way of
globally keeping track of those version numbers (this is what the Confluent
schema registry does).

Martin