> I think that substituting different data for
> unrecognized branches in a union isn't the way to fix the problem, but I
> have a proposal for a way to fix it that looks more like you'd expect in
> the OO example above: by adding the Vehicle class to your read schema.
>
> Right now, unions are first resolved by full class name as required by the
> spec. But after that, we have some additional rules to match schemas. These
> rules are how we reconcile name differences from situations like writing
> with a generic class and reading with a specific class. I'm proposing you
> use a catch-all class (the superclass) with fields that are in all of the
> union's branches, and we update schema resolution to allow it.

That sounds good. The only thing I’d add is to make this catch-all behavior
explicit in the schema (similar to how field defaults must be explicitly added).
To help fix another common writer evolution issue, we could also add a similar
catch-all for `enum`s (optional, to be explicitly specified in the schema).
-Matthieu