I was responding to the "For unions, we will add an optional catch-all
attribute" part.  The syntax of union schemas is unfortunately hard to
modify compatibly.

Here's a way around that.  Recall that every kind of schema, except
union, supports arbitrary properties, and unions cannot be directly
nested.  Given this, we could have a property on one of the branch
schemas that declares it as the branch to be used when the writer's
branch is not found in the reader.  For example, if one wanted
unmatched to be read as null, then the reader could use a union like,
[{"type":"null","isDefaultBranch":true}, ... ], or one could add that
property to a record schema that acts as a base class.  Note however
that, when using a record as the default branch, one could not then
use that same record as a non-default branch in another union.  To
ameliorate that, we might permit multiple default branches in a union
to be specified as default with the convention that the first such is
used.

Doug