Looking through jira. I dont see a plan as such. But I am all in for the
change.
However, the changes will be backward incompatible and will need to be done
on a major release like 1.9 as you mention.
Also, the hadoop-client[1] version is 2.7.3 and if we are to bump that up
to 3.X we will need to move the java to 1.8 since that is a requirement for
hadoop3[2].

IMO, we should move the compile to 1.7 for the releases going forward for
1.8 and 1.9.0 as well as look at bumping the hadoop-client to 3 so that we
are ready for the upstream hadoop-3 release.

[1]https://github.com/apache/avro/blob/master/lang/java/pom.xml#L46
[2]http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.0.0-alpha1/

-Suraj Acharya