On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 6:54 AM Niels Basjes <ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:

> > have a build matrix ... Java 10 and 11. ... easier to configure in, ...
> > Travis  ... native support.
>
> This is exactly why I asked about the preference for Jenkins.
> Listening to these arguments I would tend to go to Travis as it
> integrates fine with Github and is already used by many Apache
> projects.

The big advantage for using ASF Jenkins, IMHO, is that we can start
using Apache Yetus to do precommit checks. That will get us more
checks than just the simple compilation and/or unit tests our current
build script can get us. If we configure things correctly it'll also
do incremental checks, e.g. so that changes to only one language don't
need to go through tests for all languages.

Yetus also has the advantage of being a project that I and several
others contribute to as a part of our work on many different ASF
projects. That results in more checks we can leverage here in Avro
without having to implement them ourselves.

Setting up multiple JDKs is doable in Yetus. We use that functionality
both in Apache HBase and Apache Hadoop.

--
busbey