I understand we've been willing to introduce backward-incompatible API
changes (not file-format changes) into minor release versions.  If so,
here's an idea for consideration:

Let's eliminate recursive records from Avro 1.9.x.  Recursion
introduces a _lot_ of complexity into many parts of the Avro code
base.  We could vastly simplify the code base, and probably speed
things up, by getting rid of this feature.

The specific proposal would be that Avro 1.9.x would refuse to accept
recursive records, and thus would not be able to read binary files
written by older versions of Avro.  I haven't heard of anyone actually
using them, so I don't think this would be a problem.