Hi folks!

First, I want to give a big thanks to everyone who's been slogging through the
backlog of changes over the last few months. It's really exciting to see
progress again.

What are folks thinking about in terms of releases? I'm particularly interested
in what the currently active contributors and committers are looking for?

* Is a major release (i.e. 1.9) the main focus?
* Anyone already looking at getting existing minor release lines going again
(i.e. 1.7 or 1.8)?
* Are there any major blockers to doing one or more of the above now, or are
folks trying to complete a pass of everything before looking at releases?

I ask because I may have a bit of time for doing release manager duties.

In my experience it's better to release often rather than wait for the perfect
time, but I understand that there's a big backlog of expectations so folks
might not be feeling great about their changes coming in for a future release
when we don't have a history of a steady release cadence.

Maybe folks with a more up to date view of the backlog than me have a better
idea about what things still under review might necessitate a major version
increment, so that we might try to get them all into 1.9?