+1 (binding)

-- Good:
* signatures
* checksums
* tag/ref lines up with src artifact (except for one file mentioned below)
* LICENSE/NOTICE spot check
* apache rat says the license files for all the artifacts are fine (except it
couldn't understand the gem; using the gem cli confirms it's also correct)

-- We Can Be Better Later:
* filed AVRO-2395 because the "java" convenience binary part of the dist
section is redundant
* in the future please post the specific staged maven repository instead of
somewhere within the staged repository group. that'll help us avoid possible
conflicts should someone forget to cancel a staged RC or accidentally stage an
additional repository after the vote is called. FWIW as far as I can tell from
the Nexus UI, this is the staged repo for this VOTE (and it's what I verified):

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1020/

* When unpacking the source tarball I got this warning on OSX.

> Busbey-MBA:1.9.0-RC4 busbey$ tar -C src_untar -xzf
> dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.9.0-rc4/avro-src-1.9.0.tar.gz
> tar: copyfile unpack
> (avro-src-1.9.0/lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-test-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc)
>  failed: No such file or directory

I don't think it should be a blocker because it's shown up in prior RCs since
2012 and AFAICT things are fine despite it, save a unit test.

* An upgrade guide will help a bunch of folks given the time since last release
and this being a major version.

For example, someone asked about how incompatible things are. So I ran the Java
API Compliance Checker on the java libraries, since it's (relatively) easy.
After filtering out the "avro.shaded" package and excluding the hadoop1
specific jars from 1.8.2:

> Busbey-MBA:1.9.0-RC4 busbey$ japi-compliance-checker -l "apache avro" -d1
> avro-1.8.2-jacc.xml -d2 avro-1.9.0-jacc.xml -skip-packages skip-packages.txt
> Preparing, please wait ...
> Using Java 1.8.0_161
> Reading classes 1.8.2 ...
> WARNING: skipping "internal" packages
> NOTE: use --keep-internal option to check them
> Reading classes 1.9.0-rc4 ...
> WARNING: skipping "internal" packages
> Comparing classes ...
> Creating compatibility report ...
> Binary compatibility: 94.6%
> Source compatibility: 93.6%
> Total binary compatibility problems: 155, warnings: 26
> Total source compatibility problems: 160, warnings: 4
> Report: compat_reports/apache avro/1.8.2_to_1.9.0-rc4/compat_report.html

The report is here:

http://people.apache.org/~busbey/avro/1.9.0-RC4/1.8.2_to_1.9.0RC4_compat_report.html

This is a major version, so I think breaking things is fine. But this report is
still pretty long and so I'm guessing downstream could use some help. Maybe the
current summary list covers all of the breakage listed; I didn't try to compare
them.