Hi folks!

Here's the report I plan to post tomorrow morning for next week's board
meeting. Please let me know if there's anything you think needs
clarification or that I missed entirely.
---

Apache Avro is a data serialization system with a compact binary format. It
is
used for storing and transporting schema driven serialized data. The unique
features of Avro include automatic schema resolution - when the reader's
expected schema is different from the actual schema with which the data was
serialized the data is automatically adapted to meet reader's requirements.

This report is for the period of Aug 1 2019 through Oct 9 2019.

## Issues:
The project currently has no issues that require board attention.

There are currently 31 committers and 23 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 4:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
 - Sean Busbey became PMC Chair
 - Brian Lachniet was added to the PMC on 2019-08-23
 - Nándor Kollár was added to the PMC on 2019-08-29
 - No new committers. Last addition was Tim Perkins on 2018-12-12.

Releases, past quarter:
- Apache Avro 1.9.1 on 2019-09-02

## Activity:
The Avro project slowly is improving on our gains from the last year.

We've gotten a fair bit of feedback on the 1.9.0 release and are working
towards establishing a regular cadence for getting the result of that
feedback
into our downstream communities. As noted in the summary, we've gotten the
follow-up 1.9.1 release out after a period of approximately 4 months.

We're also working across all of our programming language implementations to
update things for current build tools and third party dependencies.

We had a brief discussion about how our library versioning differs from
practices we see in other places. The discussion had low participation but
consensus among those that did was to both better document our current
practices and change them in the future. We did not come up with any
specific
plans to handle implementation. [ref: https://s.apache.org/gxfo0 ]

## Numbers
For those interested in numeric metrics:

Mailing lists:
 - dev@avro.apache.org had a 14% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(757
   emails compared to 661)
 - u...@avro.apache.org had a 85% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(65
   emails compared to 35)

JIRA:
 - 107 issues opened in past quarter (8% increase)
 - 58 issues closed in past quarter (3% increase)

GitHub:
 - 83 PRs opened in past quarter (2% increase)
 - 72 PRs closed in past quarter (7% increase)

Code Repository:
 - 144 commits in the past quarter (38% increase)
 - 18 code contributors in the past quarter (-33% decrease)