This is something I have also thought about…

Eventually went down the path of SQL with apache calcite + jax rs….

You can achieve similar outcomes (get multiple resources in one request,
compatible evolution…)

Here is a quick writeup + poc:
https://github.com/zolyfarkas/jaxrs-spf4j-demo/wiki/AvroCalciteRest
<https://github.com/zolyfarkas/jaxrs-spf4j-demo/wiki/AvroCalciteRest>

There are some advantages to SQL…  like a lot less docs to read/write…

—Z