Hi Andy,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry for not being so active in the community
lately.

Since Avro 1.8.2 there has been some activity on the repository again,
fixing stuff like security issues and migrating to later versions of Java.
Avro has been around for 10 years now, and I would like to keep (some)
backward compatibility to make sure that people are still going to use it
for another 10 years :) In the past, the idea was to keep the format
backward compatibility, this excludes the Java API to. So we did some
changes to the API, such as removing Jackson from the public API and
aggressively migrating from Joda Time to Java JSR-310. This caused a lot of
issues because Avro is deeply nested in a lot of projects. For example, it
is a huge task to update Avro in Hive or Hadoop. Therefore we believe that
backward compatibility is very important.

And I agree that we should mainly focus on the Avro spec itself, and not
too much on File I/O and Network etc :) However, if we decide to break an
API, we should do it for a good reason.

Cheers, Fokko