Hello
I find this proposal relevant.

to clarify :

> From 1.12.0 on, I'd like to propose maintaining *two* major versions
> (i.e. 1.12.x and 1.11.x).  That would allow us to deprecate and modify
> APIs and give developers one whole major release to switch.

this means to maintain 3 branches (1.13.0-SNAPSHOT (master), 1.12.x and
1.11.x)  ?

what about ?
- master (1.13.0-SNAPSHOT) receive new feature + CVE + bug fixes + API
breaking change (keeping old API with deprecated tag when possible) and
remove old deprecated API (possibly not compatible with 1.12.x)
- 1.12.x receive from master new feature + CVE + bug fixes (1.12.n+1 should
stay compatible with 1.12.n, so, it won't receive breaking change).
- 1.11.x receive from master only CVE + bug fixes.

thus allow users to adopt new feature even on minor released, and adapt
smoothly to breaking change on major release.
(this imply to distinguish between *new feature* and *breaking changes* ?)

Best regards,
Christophe.