Hi Fokko,

Whenever I see an empty ticket and/or Github description (like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3884,
https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2554) the first thing that comes to my
mind is to close it without giving an explanation too!
If the reporter does not bother to help him/herself then there is no need
to waste my time either!
I didn't close your PR because your are a fellow committer in the project.
But now I think this is even worse! A newbie may not know how to report an
issue or how to propose an improvement, but I expect better from a
long-time Apache committer!
Same for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3871. Such a JIRA issue
is plain useless. In a few months/years even you won't remember why you
needed the new class.

For changes in the specification I'd expect a discussion in the mailing
list (like this one) that provides information on what kind of problems
there are and a proposal on how to solve them. A PR may accompany the
discussion just to make it more clear but without an agreement on the
mailing list a change of the spec should not be made!

Regards,
Martin