Thank you for all the comment so far.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> bq.  I would prefer that we have a .tar.gz release
>
> +1
>
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Ismaël Mejía <ieme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ​+1 (non-binding)
> >
> > - verified signatures + checksums
> > - run mvn clean install -Prelease, all artifacts build and the tests run
> > smoothly (modulo some local issues I had with the installation of tox for
> > the python sdk, I created a PR to fix those in case other people can have
> > the same trouble).
> >
> > Some remarks still to fix from the release, but that I don’t consider
> > blockers:
> >
> > 1. The section Getting Started in the main README.md needs to be updated
> > with the information about the creating/activating the virtualenv. At
> this
> > moment just running mvn clean install won’t work without this.

mvn clean install should run without any additional steps, including the
creation of a virtualenv. tox will manage this process, and it is already
integrated Maven.

> > 2.  Both zip files in the current release produce a folder with the same
> > name ‘apache-beam-0.6.0’. This can be messy if users unzip both files
> into
> > the same folder (as happened to me, the compressed files should produce a
> > directory with the exact same name that the file, so
> > apache-beam-0.6.0-python.zip will produce apache-beam-0.6.0-python and
> the
> > other its respective directory.
>

> > 3. The name of the files of the release probably should be different:
> >
> > The source release could be just apache-beam-0.6.0.zip instead of
> > apache-beam-0.6.0-source-release.zip considering that we don’t have
> binary
> > artifacts, or just apache-beam-0.6.0-src.zip following the convention of
> > other apache projects.
> >
> > The python release also could be renamed from
> > apache-beam-0.6.0-bin-python.zip instead of apache-beam-0.6.0-python.zip
> > so
> > users understand that these are executable files (but well I am not sure
> > about that one considering that python is a scripting language).

Python distribution is a source distribution, adding bin to the name would
be confusing.

> > Finally I would prefer that we have a .tar.gz release as JB mentioned in
> > the previous vote, and as most apache projects do. In any case if the zip
> > is somehow a requirement it would be nice to have both a .zip and a
> .tar.gz
> > file.

I think we should move this to a different thread. IMO, having a single
source of truth is better than having both file formats. Between both file
formats I don't have a strong opinion but considering the Windows users zip
might be a portable option.

Thank you,
Ahmet