> So you propose to have the Spark 2 branch a clone of the current one with
> adaptations around Context->Session, Accumulator->AccumulatorV2 etc. while
> still using the RDD API ?

Yes this is exactly what I have in mind.

> I think that having another Spark runner is great if it has value,
> otherwise, let's just bump the version.

There is value because most people are already starting to move to
spark 2 and all Big Data distribution providers support it now, as
well as the Cloud-based distributions (Dataproc and EMR) not like the
last time we had this discussion.

> We could think of starting to migrate the Spark 1 runner to Spark 2 and
> follow with Dataset API support feature-by-feature as ot advances, but I
> think most Spark installations today still run 1.X, or am I wrong ?

No, you are right, that’s why I didn’t even mentioned removing the
spark 1 runner, I know that having to support things for both versions
can add additional work for us, but maybe the best approach would be
to continue the work only in the spark 2 runner (both refining the RDD
based translator and starting to create the Dataset one there that
co-exist until the DataSet API is mature enough) and keep the spark 1
runner only for bug-fixes for the users who are still using it (like
this we don’t have to keep backporting stuff). Do you see any other
particular issue?

Ismaël