Hi guys,

Ismaël summarize well what I have in mind.

I'm a bit late on the PoC around that (I started a branch already).
I will move forward over the week end.

Regards
JB

On 03/22/2017 11:42 PM, Ismaël Mejía wrote:
Amit, I suppose JB is talking about the RDD based version, so no need
to worry about SparkSession or different incompatible APIs.

Remember the idea we are discussing is to have in master both the
spark 1 and spark 2 runners using the RDD based translation. At the
same time we can have a feature branch to evolve the DataSet based
translator (this one will replace the RDD based translator for spark 2
once it is mature).

The advantages have been already discussed as well as the possible
issues so I think we have to see now if JB's idea is feasible and how
hard would be to live with this while the DataSet version evolves.

I think what we are trying to avoid is to have a long living branch
for a spark 2 runner based on RDD  because the maintenance burden
would be even worse. We would have to fight not only with the double
merge of fixes (in case the profile idea does not work), but also with
the continue evolution of Beam and we would end up in the long living
branch mess that others runners have dealt with (e.g. the Apex runner)

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/12cc086f5ffe331cc70b89322ce5416c3112b87efc3393e3e16032a2@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

What do you think about this Amit ? Would you be ok to go with it if
JB's profile idea proves to help with the msintenance issues ?

Ismaël