>* java.util.logging could be a good choice for the Direct Runner
Yes, this will be great for users (Instead of having no logging when using
direct runner).

>* Logging backend could be runner-specific, particularly if it needs to
>integrate into some other experience
Good point, let's take a look at the current state of runners:
Direct runner - will use JUL as suggested.
Dataflow runner - looks like there is already no binding (There is a
binding in tests only).
Spark runner - currently uses slf4j-log4j12. does not require any specific
logger, we can change this to no binding.
Flink runner - uses slf4j-log4j12 transitively from Flink dependencies. I'm
assuming this is not a must and we can default to no binding here.
@aljoscha please confirm.
Apex runner - uses slf4j-log4j12 transitively from Apex dependencies. I'm
assuming this is not a must and we can default to no binding here. @thw
please confirm.

It might be a good idea to use a consistent binding in tests (Since we'll
use JUL for direct runner, let this be JUL).

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:23 PM Davor Bonaci <da...@apache.org> wrote:

+1 on consistency across Beam modules on the logging facade
+1 on enforcing consistency
+1 on clearly documenting how to do logging

Mixed feelings: