Off-topic:
The most annoying thing (to me) is that Slack's auto-detection of
self-invite bots is very sensitive to frequent invites of just one member.
When this activates, we get blocked from inviting more people and we have
to contact Slack support to unblock further invites. They resolve it very
quickly, but reaching out is a pain. So, for now, when inviting others,
please try to batch multiple invites, which would hopefully reduce the
occurrence frequency.

On-topic:
We shouldn't try to work around Slack's design and deploy auto-invite
functionality. That said, many email domains are automatically approved,
including apache.org. So, any committer on any project can join without
trouble. (Gmail cannot be added, unfortunately.)

Many projects use HipChat, which is the only tool supported by Infra.

Overall, I'm not happy with the invite/management burden of Slack, but
given Slack's popularity these days and high switching costs, I think I
favor status-quo.