Thanks for the feedback!

Aggregated thoughts:

   1. Warn users about large files (like 5GB large)
   2. Filenames can stick with contents via PCollection<KV<filename,
   contents>>
   3. InputStreams can't be encoded directly, but could be referenced in a
   FileWrapper object
   4. Be mindful of sink race conditions with multiple workers; make sure
   failed workers cleanup incompletely written files
   5. File systems often do better with few large files than many small ones
   6. Most/all of this can be done in the context of a DoFn

# Regarding point 1 and point 2
Yes!

# Regarding point 3:

## Approach A:
When the FileWrapper is encoded, it must somehow encode a reference to the
InputStream it is associated with, so that when the FileWrapper is decoded
it can pick up that InputStream again. My Java knowledge isn't deep enough
to know how one would do that with hashcodes and object lookup and such,
but I could sidestep that entirely by simply encoding the filepath with the
FileWrapper, then open up a new InputStream on that file path every time
the FileWrapper is decoded.

## Approach B:
An alternative to the above technique is to simply pass a byte[] array,
like so:
PCollection<KV<String, byte[]>> fileNamesAndBytes = p.apply("Read",
WholeFileIO.read().from("/path/to/input/dir/*"));

That would solve the encoding problem, allow users to get whatever they
want out of it with a ByteArrayInputStream, AND put a hard limit on the
size of incoming files at just below 2 GB (if my math is right). (This is
large enough for my use case, at present.)

# Regarding point 4:

Any examples or guidance I could pull from to protect against this properly?

# Regarding point 5:

TextIO can read and write with different compressions. Would it be feasible
for this WholeFileIO to read and write these many files to compressed zip
files also? (I envision this as a stretch feature that would be added after
the initial iteration anyway.)

# Regarding point 6:

The only prebuilt IO thing I've found find in Beam that uses DoFn is
WriteFiles. Do you have any examples to point towards to enlighten me on
the use of DoFn in this context? Unfortunately, we all know the "Authoring
I/O Transforms" documentation is sparse.

Keep it coming,
Chris

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com.invalid