> > >    - Does it also imply fixed length and content for value
iterators?

The concept of "value iterator" brings up a nit.

First, there is no such concept in the Beam model, and I don't think there
should be. I don't think we should special case GBK if we can avoid it. If
a PCollection contains elements of type KV<K, Iterable<V>> we should have
the same definition of "stable" whether or not it came from GBK. So I
think, for some definition of "fixed content", it should imply fixed length
and content.

But actually what is the definition of whether two Iterable<V> values have
the same content, since we don't require a deterministic coder for the
values? I think this question applies to this proposal in general.
Obviously we expect that if the runner is replaying from persisted
serialized data, then it suffices, but that is too operational for a good
definition IMO.

the KV<K,
> > > Iterable<V>> has no good way of being deterministic if there is late
> > data.
> > > We could do so by forcing the Iterable to be materialized into a single
> > > element, but that would also mean that the entire Iterable must fit in
> > > memory (which at least the Dataflow runner does not require).

As I mention above, the iterable is semantically [part of] a single
element. So just to unpack this, to make sure we are talking about the same
thing, I think you are talking about GBK as implemented via GBKO + GABW.

When the output of GABW is required to be stable but the output of GBKO is
not stable, we don't have stability for free in all cases by inserting a
GBK, but require something more to make the output of GABW stable, in the
worst case a full materialization.

In a perfect (future) world, if we were in accumulating mode (aka each new
element is a full replacement value) then we would know that the sink will
just overwrite prior values so it is safe to be unstable w.r.t. to
triggerings (but not other side effects). We could materialize at most the
pane index (aka sequence number for the write).

For discarding mode (aka each new element is incremental output) I think
you need full stability of the pane index / sequence number and its
associated element. There might be different ways to implement, such as the
ones suggested so far, depending on the runner.

Kenn