+1 on moving forward with Spark 2.x only.
Spark 1 users can still use already released Spark runners, and we can
support them with minor version releases for future bug fixes.

I don't see how important it is to make future Beam releases available to
Spark 1 users. If they choose not to upgrade Spark clusters, maybe they
don't need the newest Beam releases as well.

I think it is more important to 1). be able to leverage new features in
Spark 2.x, 2.) extend user base to Spark 2.
--
Pei