Huge +1 to proper release notes, which may make sense as blog posts as
well as the email announcement.

Yes, we have the Jira "release notes," but they are only one step
above the git commit logs, and generally hard to digest (especially
for an outsider). For example, if I go to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12341608
the first thing I see is a list of context-less "sub-tasks," and
nowhere is it explicitly stated that we removed Spark 1.x in favor of
Spark 2, and the fact that Java 7 was removed is only implied by some
of the subtasks (both really big things that should be called out).
Significant user-facing features like "Add support for S3 as a Apache
Beam FileSystem" are mixed in with less obvious ones like "Java
FnApiDoFnRunner to share across runners" and "support
View.CreatePCollectionView in FlinkRunner" in a big wall of text
(which is a good show of activity, but not much in the way of a
compelling reason to upgrade or what to keep an eye on when you do).
Sure it deserves a call out as "here are all the bugs we fixed" but
that's not a replacement for a good set of release notes itself.

That being said, curating and composing a proper set of release notes
can be a time consuming process. The only way I've seen this
successfully and regularly done without placing an undue burden on the
release manager (that already has a high task) is having a running
"release notes" doc in the repository itself that gets added to
whenever significant features (or changes) get implemented (possibly
at the request of the reviewer). The goal is not to be comprehensive,
but a ~one-page summary of what someone would care about in this
release.

- Robert