It feels like his thread may be a bit off-track. Rather than focusing on
the semantics of the existing methods -- which have been noted to be meet
many existing use cases -- it would be helpful to focus on more on the
reason you are looking for something with different semantics.

Some possibilities (I'm not sure which one you are trying to do):

1. Clean-up some external, global resource, that was initialized once
during the startup of the pipeline. If this is the case, how are you
ensuring it was really only initialized once (and not once per worker, per
thread, per instance, etc.)? How do you know when the pipeline should
release it? If the answer is "when it reaches step X", then what about a
streaming pipeline?

2. Finalize some resources that are used within some region of the
pipeline. While, the DoFn lifecycle methods are not a good fit for this
(they are focused on managing resources within the DoFn), you could model
this on how FileIO finalizes the files that it produced. For instance:
   a) ParDo generates "resource IDs" (or some token that stores information
about resources)
   b) "Require Deterministic Input" (to prevent retries from changing
resource IDs)
   c) ParDo that initializes the resources
   d) Pipeline segments that use the resources, and eventually output the
fact they're done
   e) "Require Deterministic Input"
   f) ParDo that frees the resources

By making the use of the resource part of the data it is possible to
"checkpoint" which resources may be in use or have been finished by using
the require deterministic input. This is important to ensuring everything
is actually cleaned up.

3. Some other use case that I may be missing? If it is this case, could you
elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish? That would help me
understand both the problems with existing options and possibly what could
be done to help.

-- Ben

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>