To address the first point, 3.4 is almost certainly sufficient for our
needs (running lint_py3 to prevent regressions). Also, +1 that automating
this is going to be much more effective than asking users to manually do
extra steps.

Long-term, we should definitely support 3.5+, definitely not support 3.1 or
below, and probably look at usage numbers/customers/what's shipped with
different OSes for 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 (my guess is that 3.4 is the lowest we'll
want to go).