To my knowledge, no one has discussed an extension mechanism for the direct
runner but the difficulty is in how to get extensions to interact with the
internals of the direct runner cleanly.
Note that the direct runner currently accepts a set of flags which
enable/disable validation and control how it runs like
"--enforceImmutability":
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/runners/direct-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/direct/DirectOptions.java#L49
Would it be easier to just add more flags which control how the direct
runner works?

As for having a direct runner using portability to be able to execute
Python / Go / Java SDKs, you should look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2899