I will start with the "exciting futuristic" answer, which is that we
envision the new DoFn to be able to provide an automatic ExecutorService
parameters that you can use as you wish.

    new DoFn<>() {
      @ProcessElement
      public void process(ProcessContext ctx, ExecutorService
executorService) {
          ... launch some futures, put them in instance vars ...
      }

      @FinishBundle
      public void finish(...) {
         ... block on futures, output results if appropriate ...
      }
    }

This way, the Java SDK harness can use its overarching knowledge of what is
going on in a computation to, for example, share a thread pool between
different bits. This was one reason to delete IntraBundleParallelization -
it didn't allow the runner and user code to properly manage how many things
were going on concurrently. And mostly the runner should own parallelizing
to max out cores and what user code needs is asynchrony hooks that can
interact with that. However, this feature is not thoroughly considered. TBD
how much the harness itself manages blocking on outstanding requests versus
it being your responsibility in FinishBundle, etc.

I haven't explored rolling your own here, if you are willing to do the knob
tuning to get the threading acceptable for your particular use case.
Perhaps someone else can weigh in.

Kenn