Personally, this is a case where I think forking might be a better option,
even though I'm not generally a fan of duplicating code.

In past projects, depending on internal modules of other projects never
seems lead to good outcomes. FileSystem exists for Beam today, and Beam
might make changes to it that cause problems for your other project. I
would recommend starting by forking if it serves your needs.

Reuven