There is also Romain's filesystem PR that wraps vfs as a Beam
filesystem . That would at least in theory allow to read from HTTP and
FTP, no?

Of course this is different from RestIO because it won't have the full
HTTP verbs semantics but if the goal is just to read from (GET), maybe
we should try to make this PR advance no?

https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/4803